Monday, 23 December 2013

Kayak and Snorkel Day

Today we had a kayak and snorkel tour booked though the Samara Adventure Company. They picked us up right at our driveway in a pickup truck rigged up to take us and the kayaks to the beach.  Alex, our bilingual guide took very good care of us as we paddled out to Isla Chora.  Once we were at the island, Alex cut up some fresh pineapple and watermelon for us and provided a wide selection of refreshments for us.  We explored the pink sand beach for awhile and then went out snorkeling next to the island for awhile.    We later took our kayaks out to a reef area and went snorkeling there.  There were way more for fish there.  Alex did a great job of diving down and bringing up things for us to see and handle.  He showed us blue starfish and a big sea cucumber.  He gave it to me to hold but made sure that I grabbed it with the little suction parts on the opposite side of my hands.  Later, I gave it to another guy snorkeling nearby.  I laughed 15 minutes later when the guy had the cucumber stuck to his hand and he couldn't get it off.  Without knowing, I think I may have passed it to him with the suckers against the palm of his hand.  Ha Ha!  We got to see lobster, a sea snake and porcupine fish but the highlight was definitely when Alex had me dive down with him as he lifted a huge rock off the bottom and grabbed an octopus that was hiding under it.  He brought it to the surface and let us all handle it.  Ann turned her back to Alex and he quickly took the octopus and stuck it to Ann's back.  When he pulled it off it left suction marks on her back for awhile.  It was hilarious and Ann was a good sport.  I should mention that I got to see the octopus shoot its ink at one point.  Very cool!

Later this afternoon, Ann, Craig and I drove a little out of town to a little family run grocery store that we'd hear about.  Its called the Super Iguana Verde.  We then drove down a pothole filled trail to a little bakery/soda where we bought some dessert for our supper tonight.  Craig took care of supper tonight making us a nice vegetarian pasta dish on this meatless Monday.

Here are some of the photos that I took today.





Isla Chora









Photo off Ann and my finger of course



Jenna sprinting for the finish line



The back seat is a great place for slackers.

Craig, Allison and Jenna

Ann and the girls


An eel.


Jenna and yellow puffer fish



Kevin andd Ann



Jenna holding an octopus

Allison touching the octopus


No comments:

Post a Comment