I've often wondered where the red headed turkey vultures that we have at home fly to during the winter. I think I know the answer to that now, since I see them and another type of big bird flying around this area everyday. I asked a local and they are indeed called turkey vultures. I also added some sugar water to the humming bird feeder today and the tiny birds have already been visiting. I wonder if they make it as far as Canada in the off season.
I also forgot to mention that between here and Nicoya, I saw a Miel de Abeja sign on the side of the road and then not much further, a fairly large beeyard with very modern looking equipment. Definitely, a commercial type operation.
 |
| I bought another bottle of honey today |
Grocery shopping in this little undeveloped central american town certainly is a different experience for most North Americans. You don't just walk into a big supermarket which takes up a city block and find everything you need. And that is how I found myself without my Spanish speaking son, or my Spanish "looking" wife in a little butcher shop at the end of a dead end road in Samara. I was in search of some good quality beef for our family Christmas Dinner. I know it is non-traditional but I make no excuses because I love beef and traditions can change. In by broken Spanish I managed to explain that I wanted 2 kg of good beef. The butcher went into the cooler and came out with a beautiful slab of meat which made my caveman spirit pound drums and grunt in approval. He carefully trimmed the fat off of it. For a moment, I thought, "wow, my Spanish is pretty damn good" until the butcher started slicing the meat into steaks. I was hoping for a couple of nice roasts. I laughed to myself and the the caveman exclaimed " Perfecto, BBQ for Christmas!"
 |
| Picking up some supplies again at Super Iguana Verde |
 |
The butcher shop
We had a very relaxing afternoon and then some of us watched the sun set.
|
For our Christmas Eve supper, Craig prepared a quiche dish with a fancy salad and some home made cookies. It was delicious.
 |
| We took this photo by tying the camera to the chandelier as Jenna suggested |
No comments:
Post a Comment