Early this afternoon, Ann, Craig and I drove to the rodeo grounds to see if anything was happening. Nothing was really going on at that time but a charming, more than slightly inebriated middle aged Tico (a term used for Costa Rican man - a woman is a Tica) came and explained to us that things did not really get started until 6:00 pm. Before telling me this he offered to park my car. Even I understood his Spanish and I laughed at the thought of giving up my keys to a total stranger, not to mention a drunk one. Ha Ha! He was however, quite charming and I could tell he enjoyed the fact that we were Canadiense and not Americano. He was also impressed with Craig's Spanish language skills and made a point of letting me know.
We did some grocery shopping and then went back to the house where we had a nice Skype session with Barb, Gabby and Jack. Later, Craig walked to the bus stop to meet a friend of his who was coming to Samara from San Jose. His name is Natalino and he is originally from East Timor. He went to school with Craig in Norway and is currently studying in San Jose. We met the boys at a restaurant in town for supper and then walked to the rodeo grounds to see what was going on. We walked there in the dark along the beach with only Craig's headlamp for a light. What we found when we got there was a big fair ground area with blasting Latino music and an outdoor rodeo arena. The arena was setup in such a way that you could not see inside and you had to pay 5000 colones/person to get in. We could not figure out what exactly was going on in there and since we were all tired anyway, we opted out of the rodeo and made our way back to the house. Craig seems happy to have an old school mate here tonight. They are out chatting on the patio and Natalino will be making use of the sofa tonight.
Having supper at the Lo Que Hay Restaurant (right on the beach) with Craig's friend Natalino
While waiting for our food, the girls go onto the dark beach to watch the stars
You have to love a restaurant equipped with hammocks. Jenna obviously thinks its a great idea. I always told the kids that I wanted to open up a restaurant someday where you had the option to have a nap before going home. I love it.
On the walk back to the house we come across a skinny stray horse. I think they are kind of like stray dogs around here
No comments:
Post a Comment