Thursday, 2 January 2014

What day is it?


I'm starting to lose track of the days.  Ok, I checked and it is Thursday.  I can't believe that we left home over 2 weeks ago.  I know we have to leave in a couple days but I will try not to think about that today.

After Craig left yesterday, we all went to Samara and had lunch at a little place away from the beach. One thing that you have to understand about Samara is that this is where Costa Ricans come for their holidays.   At this time of the year, the vast majority of people in town and on the beach are Spanish speaking folks. When you get away from the beach there is no guarantee that you will get service in English and I observed that there were no English speaking people in this little restaurant.    I could tell the waiters were a little timid when coming to serve us but we managed to get our food and it was all good.  They were taking a long time to bring me the bill and so I told the girls to go ahead and do some shopping and that I'd catch up with them.  I waited and waited and then it occurred to me that I was observing a classic case of the human condition and that these two young waiters felt uncomfortable dealing with my poor Spanish and their lack of English.  Obviously they were as shy about their poor English as a person might be about their poor Spanish.  I'm not sure, but I think they were negotiating between themselves about who was going to deal with me.  I finally laughed to myself, walked over to them, asked for la cuenta, paid the bill and put an end to their suffering.

After doing some beach shopping we parked ourselves in the coolest beach side lounge where I secured a table right next to a modified fishing boat, set on its side with comfortable pillows for us to lounge on.  We had a light snack and then Jenna fell asleep in the boat for awhile.  Eventually she woke up and she and Ann went for a swim while Allison and I practiced our Spanish people watching skills while sipping tall cool ones.

On the walk back to the house, just as we were leaving the beach, a 70ish year old man who we noticed waving to us on our street a few times, stopped his truck so he could chat with us.  He lives in the beautiful Samara Reefs complex a short distance down the hill from our rental home.  He told us that there are 7 units within Samara Reefs and that he is the only Tico who owns one.  The rest of them are all owned by Canadians.  He said that he has neighbors from Vancouver, Saskatchewan and Ontario.  He was holding up the traffic and so he had to go but I would have loved chatting with him some more.

Iggy the Iguana






This morning at 7:00 am Ann and I went down to the beach for a run.  I know that when we make it back to Canada, one of the things I will miss the most about being here will be those morning runs on the beach.  At low tide, the uncovered ocean bottom is solid here and it makes for a perfect running surface.  I really do love it.
While running on the beach this morning, I found what looks to me to be an actual shark tooth.  To those doubters, no it is not plastic.  The edges were made smooth by the surf  and its one of the coolest things that I've ever found on a beach.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment