Monday, 6 January 2014

Heading for Home

Friday, January 3 was our last full day in Samara. We spent the morning lounging around, having coffee and just enjoying the yard.  For lunch, we went to a restaurant called Luv Burger which the girls have been wanting to visit since we got here.  It's a vegetarian establishment with burgers that could fool even a carnivore like myself.  After lunch we walked to the beach and Jenna and Allison spent the rest of the afternoon just playing in the surf while Ann and I found a shaded bed in a beach side lounge and I had a nap.
Jenna having a kale smoothie of some kind.  It looks disgusting to me but she seemed to like it

Once again, a dog joins us for lunch

Impressive non-meat burgers


We spent Friday evening packing our luggage before spending our last evening enjoying the sunset one last time.
My weak attempt at artistic expression

Incredible photo taken by Jenna





Saturday morning we drove back to the Liberia airport.  The curvy, narrow roads between Samara and Nicoya make for an interesting drive and there is a reason why the maximum speed limit is 60 km/hr in that area.  In fact, the fastest speed limit all the way back to Liberia is 80 km/hr.  Once again I appreciated my GPS while trying to drive through the town of Nicoya.  It saved me some grief.

Between Samara and Nicoya

One of many one lane bridges

No Hay Paso in Nicoya

At times, I am very grateful for my GPS


Harvesting sugarcane.  There are many sugarcane fields between Nicoya and Liberia


This turned out to be exactly the type of family Christmas vacation that I was hoping for.  I didn't want us running from one activity or location to another.  We did a few things but were often content to just hang out together at this very comfortable house with a pool and a great view and nothing but sunshine and warm temperatures for the entire 2 weeks.  
However, I would like to warn people that getting to Costa Rica from here is a journey in itself.  Its a long trip and it's something to consider.  Also, be warned that when you get to the airport to come home, you have to pay a $29 USD exit tax per person.  Once you pay, they give you each a form to fill out which then has to be inspected before checking in.  In Liberia, when flying with American Airlines, if you are as fortunate as us, you may have to stand in the hot check in line for an hour and a half.  Make sure to bring something with you to eat before going through security because there are only 2 places to eat past security and once you pay for your meal you will feel like you've just been mugged in a back alley in San Jose.  Had an inferior to McDonald's type of meal for 4 people for $106 USD.  You would think that those in charge of Costa Rican tourism would not want people to leave feeling violated by restaurant thugs and held hostage by a exit tax.  

Later that night we went out to the Love and War Restaurant in Dallas.  The contrast between what we received for our $100 in Texas and what our hunger pains forced us to pay earlier in the day was, to take the high road; amusing.
This photo is blurring because I was shaking with excitement at the sight of this perfectly roasted wild boar.

The waitress asked if we wanted the small or tall glass. We asked for the tall glass of beer and laughed when she returned with this.  She explained in her Texan accent that "these here are Texas sized!"



Early Sunday morning we had breakfast with Jenna at the hotel.  We said our teary goodbyes as we got into the airport shuttle knowing that Jenna was going to a different terminal than the 3 of us.  Jenna flew off to Toronto while we jetted back to Calgary. Jenna, it was such a pleasure hanging out with you over the holidays and I miss you already.  I love you!  Have a great term and I'll see you soon.

 Despite having my truck plugged in the whole time, I still had to get a boost before making the long drive home last night.  I know that Alberta has been having some really poor driving conditions and so I feel very lucky about the good roads coming home last night.   Tonight as I reflect on the last 18 days  with my family, I know that I am very blessed.  This has been a wonderful experience.  I have no regrets and I will cherish these memories forever.

Kevin Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment