Wednesday, 1 January 2014

Adios Craig

On the last day of 2013, Jenna spent her time working on some assignments that had to be submitted by the end of the day.  That morning, Craig and I drove Natalino to the bus stop for his ride back to San Jose.  Ann, Craig, Allison and I spent the whole afternoon just hanging out on Samara Beach.  We went back to the beach side restaurant where we had supper a couple nights ago and got a table on the sand in the shade of some palm trees where we spent at least a couple hour having lunch and drinks.

This beach has such a rustic quality to it.  It's fun to see people riding horses, dogs without leashes and people stacking up firewood for their evening bonfires.  I've certainly never seen this on any other beaches that I've been to.

From our vantage point up on this hill overlooking Samara beach, we were able to watch some pretty fabulous fireworks last night, all along the beach.  The sound travels very easily within this bay and the explosions seemed to be right over the house at times.  The fireworks, however were not the highlight of my New Years celebration.  For that I had to wait until 12:30 am when I was summoned to the girls' bedroom to kill a scorpion that was crawling on the curtains.  I grabbed a shoe from the entrance, knocked it to the floor and as it tried to scurry off I flattened it with a single blow.  Allison told me that I looked "really cool" doing that.  I went to sleep wondering if the dead scorpion's relatives might find me under the sheets tonight for some retribution.
High tide, Playa Samara.  I trail along the center part of the beach




3 fish tacos and a margarita:  what a beach lunch should be

Que pasa?


Less than 30,000 colones for this awesome lunch with drinks.  Not bad

Another stray horse


horses, unleashed dog and a happy Tico on a bike

Horse tracks

Paved section of Calle Santa Domingo near our house


Hace Calor...check out the sweat on my brow

Calle Santa Domingo


The waves are really small here. Great place for little ones to learn how to surf


Pink Belly

Allison buys a nice pearl bracelet 

A beautiful starlet and her new necklace

A section of main street

Woohoo!  A 5 dollar souvenir







Random pre pink belly photo from Craig

Another random pre pink belly photo from Craig

This morning at 10:00 am I had a shuttle come right to our house to pick up Craig and take him to the airport in Liberia.  I think it was Elizabeth Stone who was quoted as saying that when you have a child, you "decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."  She hit the nail on the head with that statement.  I miss you already Craig and until we meet again, te quiero a mi hijo.
New Years morning breakfast

Craig tuning Ally's ukulele one last time before he leaves 




Hasta luego Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment